Home Economics Department
MrsJ Livingston(Head of Department)
Mrs C Morris (M)
Miss E J Agnew
• Help pupils understand and appreciate the role of the home and family as they relate to the development of the individual and society.
• Develop pupils' understanding of the physical, emotional, intellectual and aesthetic needs of themselves and others which change throughout the life cycle.
• Increase pupils' awareness of how needs can be met, making best use of available resources.
• Develop the critical thinking and decision making capacity of pupils on matters relating to the home and family.
• To promote and encourage an enjoyment of the practical element of the subject.
Key Stage 3
Home Economics at Key Stage 3 is part of Learning for Life and Work. In Years 8, 9 and 10 pupils get the opportunity to examine key concepts in relation to healthy eating, home and family life and independent living.
Units of Work include; Safety and Hygiene; Use of equipment; Meal planning and preparation using the Eatwell plate guidelines; Family life and Seasonal cooking.
Units of Work include; Nutrients, Meal planning and preparation using the Eatwell plate guidelines; Ethical Shopping; Food Safety and Seasonal cooking.
Units of Work include; Meal planning and preparation using the Eatwell plate guidelines; Needs of Pregnant Mother, Baby, Toddler, Adolescent, Adult and the Elderly; Special Diets e.g. vegetarian; Consumer Awareness and Seasonal Cooking.
GCSE Home Economics
GCSE Home Economics is a very relevant and interesting subject which provides pupils with the opportunity to prepare them for the responsibilities, opportunities and experiences of adult life.
The new specification contains two main components, Diet and Health and Consumer Awareness.
Diet and Health
Pupils will study:
- What’s on the plate?
- What’s in food?
- What’s on the label?
- Ages and Stages
- Dietary disorders
- Special diets
- The facts behind will issues
- Keeping food safe
- Creativity and food
Pupils will study:
- Being an effective consumer
- What influences shopping?
- Money matters
- Wiser buyer
Unit 1 Diet and Health and Consumer Awareness
Exam paper includes short answer and structured extended writing questions
1 hour 30 mins (40% weighting)
Unit 2 Diet and health
Controlled assessment- Planning, preparation and evaluation of a range of dishes
(40 % weighting)
Unit 3 Consumer Awareness
Controlled assessment- Consumer research task (20% weighting)